Limerick hurlers & footballers record victories over Carlow   10/03/2013


Limerick 0-10 Carlow 0-09

Limerick consolidated their place at the top of the Division IV table with a narrow win over Carlow at the Gaelic Grounds today. A fourth straight win on the competition sees Maurice Horan's side move four points clear at the top of the table and into pole position for promotion to the third tier next year. Limerick, along with Division I leaders Dublin, are one of only two teams still unbeaten across the four divisions, although they are yet to win a game by more than two points and have still not scored a goal in the competition. Their enviable record looked set to be shattered today, though, when they trailed by 0-09 to 0-08 in the final quarter against Anthony Rainbow's side. However, an Ian Ryan free drew Limerick level and then they took the lead for the first time in the game when star man Ryan, who finished with 0-07, hit what proved to be the winning point with three minutes left. Carlow led by 0-07 to 0-05 at half-time, with Darragh Foley hitting two points for the Barrowsiders and Ryan doing most of the damage for the home side. In a tense second half, a Martin Doyle score had Carlow 0-09 to 0-07 ahead on 50 minutes, but Rainbow's charges failed to score in the final 20 minutes. Match-winner Ryan nailed two frees to draw Limerick level before hitting the winner in the 68th minute to break Carlow's hearts.


Limerick 3-10 Carlow 1-13

Limerick claimed their second straight win of the new campaign when they beat Carlow by three points at the Gaelic Grounds earlier on Sunday afternoon. Limerick led by 3-02 to 0-08 at the break, thanks to a first-half goal from Declan Hannon and another from Seán Tobin. Paul Coady's goal with six minutes left on the clock made for a frantic finale, but Limerick just about held on to claim both points. The one sour note for the home side came when their captain Donal O'Grady suffered a broken collar-bone, which could keep him out of action for the remainder of the campaign.Hannon netted Limerick's opening goal on 14 minutes before the Barrowsiders hit back with scores from Shane Kavanagh and Edward Coady to lead by 0-07 to 1-01. However, Hannon pounced for a second and Tobin followed up with another soon after to leave the Shannonsiders 3-02 to 0-08 ahead at the break.The two goals took the edge off the game and Limerick were coasting to victory in the second half thanks to scores from Paudie O'Brien, Graeme Mulcahy and a pair from Hannon. However, Carlow hit back with a late charge and Paul Coady's goal with six minutes left made for an interesting finish.